[XeTeX] Greek hyphenation in xetex

Nikos Platis nplatis at freemail.gr
Sun Apr 25 09:48:25 CEST 2010

As others have mentioned, you probably do not need nothing more than
activating the required hyphenation patterns from the MikTeX settings.
The reason that different entries exist for ancient (polytonic) and
modern (monotonic) greek exist is that there are slight differences in
some rules between the two "grammars"; so even if monotonic greek can
be considered a subset of polytonic, it wouldn't be hyphenated the
same all the time.

Nikos Platis

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 05:40, David Perry <hospes.primus at verizon.net> wrote:
> On CTAN I find the package xetex-greek, which looks like what I should be
> using since I typeset everything with xe(la)tex.
>
> MiKTeX 2.7 provides some hyphenation options for Greek, including ancient
> (see screen shot attached).  I am guessing that these are older tools for
> plain LaTeX, not Xe(La)TeX, perhaps for use with Babel.  And, in fact, the
> log file for a recent document tells me that:
>
> Babel <v3.8l> and hyphenation patterns for english, dumylang, nohyphenation,
> german, ngerman, german-x-2008-06-18, ngerman-x-2008-06-18, french,
> ancientgreek, latin, loaded.
>
> This is a bit of a puzzle since the preamble loads polyglossia, not babel.
>
> Can somebody clarify this?  I've been doing Greek poetry recently but will
> be doing some prose and will need hyphenation.  And how do I activate the
> patterns in xetex-greek, if that's what I need (although perhaps I need to
> ask that on a MiKTeX list).
>
> Thanks - David

Nikos Platis
Lecturer                                    http://www.uop.gr/~nplatis/
University of Peloponnese                        email:  nplatis at uop.gr
Department of Computer Science and Technology      tel: +30 2710 372264
"The empires of the future are the empires of the mind." - W. Churchill