[XeTeX] No clipping support in XeTeX and \textcelsius

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Tue Apr 13 00:17:06 CEST 2010

Hello Tiandao,

On 13/04/2010, at 7:24 AM, Tiandao Li wrote:

> The following is the fonts used for English and Chinese, basically
> for English.
>
> \setmainfont{AR PL UKai CN}
> \newfontinstance\rmfont{Times New Roman}
> \newcommand{\en}[1]{{\rmfont #1}}
> \newcommand{\chem}[1]{$\mathrm{#1}$}
> \setmainfont{Times New Roman}
> \newfontinstance\cnfont{AR PL UKai CN}
> \newcommand{\cn}[1]{{\cnfont #1}}
>
> I am still learning xetex. if anything wrong, please correct me.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tiandao
>

> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 4:10 PM, Fr. Michael Gilmary
> <FrMichaelGilmary at maronitemonks.org> wrote:
> Tiandao Li wrote:
>

> Another question, I used textcomp package, so I can use
> \textcelsius for
> temperature. However, the PDF file only show a square in the place
> of C.
> after I commented out packages of xunicode and xltxtra. textcomp
> package
> works fine. Why?

Xunicode points the \textcelsius macro at a single character, ℃;
viz.
   \DeclareUTFcharacter[\UTFencname]{x2103}{\textcelsius}

Some fonts might not support this.
On my machine  Times New Roman  does not.

So you could try cancelling it using:

    \UndeclareUTFcharacter[\UTFencname]{x2103}{\textcelsius}

Put this in your preamble, after Xunicode has been loaded.
Now the  \textcelsius  macro should revert to something
which builds the symbol from 2 pieces.  (Or maybe not.)
Please give it a try.

If this does not work for you, please send a complete
test file, cut down as much as possible but displaying
the problem. In particular, we need to see how you are
using the \textcelsius  command; e.g., in math-mode
or directly in a paragraph or line of text, which may be
affecting which is being used.

>  Hi Tiandao
>
> I suspect the font you're using doesn't have that particular glyph.
> Try using another font that has it.
>

> --
> United in adoration of Jesus,
>

> fr. michael gilmary, mma