[XeTeX] odd dots in math when using russian for math

Andrew Moschou andmos at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 19:14:02 CEST 2009

> Looks great! I see you've found another use for glyph bounds; very useful
> primitive. (By the way, don't forget about eTeX's \dimexpr  :)

I know about \dimexpr. But call me old fashioned, I prefer to do things the
older way sometimes but not always (If you look carefully, you will see a
\numexpr). Actually, now that I think about it, I think that should be a
\dimexpr?:

  \ifnum\dimen@ <\numexpr\ht\z@ -\ro at length\relax

Hmm, maybe not, \dimen@ is accidentally multiplied by 65536 and \numexpr of
the length forces the value to be multiplied by 65536 so I think it actually
works out :-), is that right?

> Or perhaps I should be encouraging you to try out expl3...)

Oh, no, no, no.

> I wonder if this would work nicely with unicode math fonts, which I believe
> can have any number of extensible delimiter sizes.

I don't know about "nicely". It would definitely work crudely with big
operators and \left and \right (and eTeX's \middle?) brackets.

My example calls the glyphs directly from the PUA for the medium and big
sizes (Mathematical Pi LT Std does indeed connect the medium and big sizes
to the small sizes in the Unicode positions with some OpenType substitution,
but I don't know how to activate it).

> There was someone on c.t.t. just the other day complaining that TeX didn't
> grow his large operators for him...

Yep, I posted to that thread.

Andrew