[XeTeX] Fonts in OS X 10.6

Norman Gray norman at astro.gla.ac.uk
Wed Sep 23 23:11:10 CEST 2009

Jonathan and Michael, hello.

On 2009 Sep 23, at 12:59, Jonathan Kew wrote:

>> However \textsc{small caps} doesn't produce small caps.  Ought it
>> to?  I _thought_ it did before the update to 10.6, but I admit I
>> could be imagining that.  My problem is that I'm not sure how to
>> debug exactly what's happening here, nor what to do next (apart
>> from {\small SMALL CAPS}, of course).
>
> I don't have a 10.6 machine handy just now, but the Optima that's
> included with 10.5 does *not* appear to provide small caps. Is it
> possible you had acquired a different version of Optima from
> somewhere? Otherwise, I'd have to suggest that your imagination is
> playing a role here. :)

No, I think it must have been my imagination.  Or magic.

> {\small SMALL CAPS}, or variations on this theme, is a possible
> substitute depending on your exact needs. (You could, for example,
> apply just a touch of extension and/or letterspacing to them, or
> fine-tune the size by using a fontspec declaration with the Scale
> option.)

Thanks for that -- it ends up looking perfectly acceptable.  For the
archive, what I've used is:

\newfontface\smallcapsfont[Scale=0.75,LetterSpace=3.0]{Optima}
\renewcommand\textsc[1]{{\smallcapsfont \uppercase{#1}}}

"Fr. Michael Gilmary" <FrMichaelGilmary at MaroniteMonks.org> said:

> No, I don't think so ... although I have only OS 10.4.11 --- using
> the character palette (click on the "language flag" at the top left
> of the screen and click "Show Character Palette":
>
> ... and you'll be able to select Optima glyphs to see that it
> doesn't contain any small caps. I think fontspec.pdf has a variety
> of ways of 'faking' small caps, no?

The equivalent seems to be "Keyboard and Character Viewer" in 10.6.  I
get the impression from fontspec.pdf that Hoefler Text has a small-
caps variant, but I can't find any way within this viewer of finding a
Hoefler Text example, to discover whether a small-caps variant shows
up in the panel.  It does seem a roundabout way of searching out what
I would have thought would be quite important font family information.

But no matter -- I've got some small caps now, and all is right with
the world.

Thanks for your help.  Best wishes,

Norman

--
Norman Gray  :  http://nxg.me.uk
Dept Physics and Astronomy, University of Leicester, UK