[XeTeX] Fonts in OS X 10.6

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 23 13:59:20 CEST 2009

On 23 Sep 2009, at 12:25, Norman Gray wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> I have a mild font problem, but I'm not sure whether it's a XeTeX,
> fontspec.sty or 10.6 problem -- can anyone point me in the right
> direction?
>
> Following the advice on <http://tug.org/pipermail/xetex/2009-September/014206.html
> >, I've installed the updated version of xdvipdfmx, and the fonts
> I'm using have got their boldness back (cowardice in fonts is to be
> deplored).  Good.

Glad to hear that's working.

> I'm using Optima as a body font:
>
>  \usepackage{fontspec}
>  \setmainfont{Optima}
>
> However \textsc{small caps} doesn't produce small caps.  Ought it
> to?  I _thought_ it did before the update to 10.6, but I admit I
> could be imagining that.  My problem is that I'm not sure how to
> debug exactly what's happening here, nor what to do next (apart from
> {\small SMALL CAPS}, of course).

I don't have a 10.6 machine handy just now, but the Optima that's
included with 10.5 does *not* appear to provide small caps. Is it
possible you had acquired a different version of Optima from
somewhere? Otherwise, I'd have to suggest that your imagination is
playing a role here. :)

{\small SMALL CAPS}, or variations on this theme, is a possible
substitute depending on your exact needs. (You could, for example,
apply just a touch of extension and/or letterspacing to them, or fine-
tune the size by using a fontspec declaration with the Scale option.)