[XeTeX] controlling space above an inline table

Michiel Kamermans pomax at nihongoresources.com
Sat Sep 12 21:07:45 CEST 2009

Hi all,

I'm kind of running out of ideas... I have what amounts to an inline
table (using tabular environment) in order to effect phonetic guide text
for CJK text in a document, which works quite well (thanks to Will,
Werner and Heiko back in 2008) except that it suffers from one problem
that I hadn't noticed back then: there appears to be way too much
vertical space, either because of the mbox command or tabular
environment, that I can't seem to get rid of.

The attached pdf should highlight the problem: there is too much space
between a line that has text with phonetic guide text, and previous
lines. I tried some negative valued \vspace commands in strategic
locations, but couldn't solve it that way, so if a \setlength for some
mbox or tabular attribute is required... I have no idea which one. I
think I tried every possible attribute that applies to boxes and tables
at this point, but to no avail.

Can anyone help?

Regards,

- Mike "Pomax" Kamermans