[XeTeX] Strange behavior on MacBook
stephenmoye at mac.com
Thu Sep 10 17:55:39 CEST 2009
Sent from my iPhone
On Sep 10, 2009, at 10:59 AM, Paolo Matteucci
<p.n.matteucci at gmail.com> wrote:
> Stephen, I must admit I have really no idea, but could this be
> somehow related to the [Apple ATS] bug discovered by the Textures
> guys here??
> http://www.bluesky.com/news/220b.html ("Snow Leopard breaks
> Textures?" section)
> [Of course, this is not quite your problem (OT font and all), but if
> there really is a 64-bit ATS bug…? Also, the Textures Mailing List
> user that raised the issue in the first place reported that this aff
> ected his MacBook, but not his Mac Pro.]
> 2009/9/9 Stephen Moye <stephenmoye at mac.com>
> Only on my MacBook running 10.6 do I have this problem. Here is the
> minimal file:
> %!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
> %!TEX TS-program = xetex
> \font\test="ITC Galliard Pro Roman" at 12pt
> This is a test.
> with this log:
> This is XeTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.2-0.9995.2 (TeX Live 2009)
> restricted \write18 enabled.
> entering extended mode
> (./fonttest.texkpathsea: Invalid fontname `ITC Galliard Pro Roman',
> contains ' '
> ! Font \test="ITC Galliard Pro Roman" at 12.0pt not loadable: Metric
> (TFM) file
> or installed font not found.
> l.4 \font\test="ITC Galliard Pro Roman" at 12pt
> ? x
> No pages of output.
> Transcript written on fonttest.log.
> This works on every other Mac I have, all running 10.6. I checked
> the International preference pane but didn't see anything that
> looked as if it were out of place. Other fonts that have no spaces
> in the names seem to work just fine.
> A puzzle. Any ideas?
> Stephen Moye
I had not seen the Textures problem. Interesting
I was tired and addled when I posted my query. Here is the missing
1. I'm using Mac OS X 10.6, updating from 10.5.8.
2. I'm using Linotype FontExplorer X Pro for font management.
3. I first noticed the problem shortly after upgrading to 10.6. At
that time I was using MacTeX2008; I tried the September 5 2009 beta,
but the problem persisted.
4. This morning, I noticed that the fonts activated by FEX were not
showing up in any application. After considerable experimentation, I
discovered that the workaround is to go to FEX, disable and then
reenable the fonts you want to use. Googling, I found that there are
indeed some incompatibilities between Snow Leopard and FEX -- and my
problem would seem to be one of them. Lucky me. Lino promises a fix
Thanks for looking at this, and apologies for the dreadful first post.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the XeTeX