[XeTeX] how to get english words in tamil document.

Gareth Hughes garzohugo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 17:40:18 CEST 2009

malathi selvaraj wrote:

>  I was  create the Tamil document using xelatex.i got the output. In
> that tamil document some of the words are english in that words
>
> are comes boxes,how to solve this?.Which font  should use for  both
> Tamil and English.
> --
> Regards,
> S.Malathi.

Dear Malathi,

It sounds as if your chosen Tamil font does not cover all the English
letters you wish to use. It would make sense to use a different font for
your English words, a font that has all the letters you need.

You could try the following:

\setmainfont[Script=Tamil]{Lohit}
\newfontfamily\EN[Scale=1]{Times}

தமிழ் {\EN English} தமிழ்

This defines \EN to switch to Times (replace with whatever you have and
like). Also, you can increase or reduce Scale to get the English font
looking the right size for your Tamil text.

Gareth.

--
Gareth Hughes

Department of Eastern Christianity