[XeTeX] a package for transition ryles based on unicode block (allowing amongst other things automatic font switching between languages)

Michiel Kamermans pomax at nihongoresources.com
Sun Oct 18 17:10:19 CEST 2009

Hi all,

I've been working on updating my old fontwrap package, which relied on
PerlTeX to get its job of automatic fontswitching between languages. It
did this by checking for transitions from characters in one unicode
block to characters in another, but relying on PerlTeX was rather
clumsy. I've now written it in such a way that it will run as a pure
Xe(La)TeX package, relying only on the availability of XeTeX's character
classes. For those who use a XeTeX version pre-TeX Live 2009, the class
imports the same code that the new version will use to request new
character classes, and for those who are already working with what will
be the new release, it will simply use the one defined for XeLaTeX itself.

A tgz of the full package + description, as well as just the description
in pdf, can (for now) be found at
http://pomax.nihongoresources.com/downloads/ucharclasses/ and I'd like
to ask whether you can spot any glaring problems with this package
before I send it up to CTAN. The functionaliy is perhaps one that might
be useful as something that doesn't require a package, since XeTeX's
strength is in the unicode domain, and this package provides named class
transitions for unicode blocks. But that's probably a different dicussion.

- Mike "Pomax" Kamermans
nihongoresources.com