[XeTeX] fontmap warnings (on TexLive 2009)

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Oct 7 10:41:50 CEST 2009

Am 07.10.2009 um 04:58 schrieb Steven Woody:

> $ kpsewhich psfonts.map
> /cygdrive/d/woody/.texlive2009/texmf-var/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/
> psfonts.map

This is the culprit! A private version of psfonts.map. Is there any
reason that it exists? If there is none, then the easiest cure is to
rename /cygdrive/d/woody/.texlive2009 to /cygdrive/d/
woody/.texlive2009-possible-scrap. If XeLaTeX now works and you are
sure that you don't need /cygdrive/d/woody/.texlive2009 (/cygdrive/d/
woody/.texlive2009-possible-scrap now) you can remove the whole tree,
otherwise just the psfonts.map file.

>> Which utility do you use to run XeTeX? (The LOG file clearly says
>> you're
>> using TL '09, but anyway...)
> I am not directly run XeTeX, I run xelatex on the TL'09

I tried to find out whether you were using the command line or some
TeX related application to run the xelatex programme on your sample
file. This application, or the shell environment visible from the
command line, could have caused trouble.

>> *BTW* in TL '09 you really *do* *not* need to load graphicx or
>> hyperref with
>> the dvipdfmx resp. the dvipdfm options. Check it by either running
>> XeLaTeX
>> or texdoc...
>
> sorry?  I don't get it ...

It's not necessary to start a XeLaTeX source file like your mini-
sample.tex file:

	\documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{article}
	\usepackage[dvipdfmx]{graphicx}		%% <<<<=====
	\usepackage[dvipdfm,%			%% <<<<=====
	    bookmarksnumbered,%
	    colorlinks,%
	    linkcolor=blue,%
	    hyperindex,%
	    plainpages=false,%
	    pdfstartview=FitH]{hyperref}

	\usepackage{fontspec}

You can check whether my writing is correct by re-xelatex'ing your
changed/updated mini-sample.tex file or by looking up documentation
on the graphicx/graphics and hyperref packages with texdoc.

If all or at least most of your documents have ISO A4 size you can
set up with tlmgr (see texdoc tlmgr or man tlmgr) a system-wide
preference for this paper format and save some bytes in each file.
The geometry package is an exception: it uses the proprietary default
paper size from last millennium, from the time TeX was written, i.e.,
letter. To resolve this issue it's necessary to create a file /usr/
local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/latex/geometry/geometry.cfg (don't
forget to run texhash on /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local!) with this
single line of contents:

	\ExecuteOptions{a4paper}

--
Greetings

   Pete

No project was ever completed on time and within budget.
				– Cheops Law