[XeTeX] fontmap warnings (on TexLive 2009)

Steven Woody narkewoody at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 15:41:14 CEST 2009

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 4:41 PM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at web.de> wrote:

> Am 07.10.2009 um 04:58 schrieb Steven Woody:
>
>> $ kpsewhich psfonts.map
>>
>> /cygdrive/d/woody/.texlive2009/texmf-var/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts.map
>
> This is the culprit! A private version of psfonts.map. Is there any reason
> that it exists? If there is none, then the easiest cure is to rename
> /cygdrive/d/woody/.texlive2009 to
> /cygdrive/d/woody/.texlive2009-possible-scrap. If XeLaTeX now works and you
> are sure that you don't need /cygdrive/d/woody/.texlive2009
> (/cygdrive/d/woody/.texlive2009-possible-scrap now) you can remove the whole
> tree, otherwise just the psfonts.map file.

This file is not created my myself and I know few about it. It must be
created automatically by a command.  And, I removed the whole
~/.texlive2009 directory, but this did not help xelatex warnings.

>>> Which utility do you use to run XeTeX? (The LOG file clearly says you're
>>> using TL '09, but anyway...)
>>
>> I am not directly run XeTeX, I run xelatex on the TL'09
>
> I tried to find out whether you were using the command line or some TeX
> related application to run the xelatex programme on your sample file. This
> application, or the shell environment visible from the command line, could
> have caused trouble.
>

>>> *BTW* in TL '09 you really *do* *not* need to load graphicx or hyperref
>>> with
>>> the dvipdfmx resp. the dvipdfm options. Check it by either running
>>> XeLaTeX
>>> or texdoc...
>>
>> sorry?  I don't get it ...
>>

> It's not necessary to start a XeLaTeX source file like your mini-sample.tex
> file:
>
>        \documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{article}
>        \usepackage[dvipdfmx]{graphicx}         %% <<<<=====
>        \usepackage[dvipdfm,%                   %% <<<<=====
>            bookmarksnumbered,%
>            colorlinks,%
>            linkcolor=blue,%
>            hyperindex,%
>            plainpages=false,%
>            pdfstartview=FitH]{hyperref}
>
>        \usepackage{fontspec}

Okay, I removed these 'dvipdfm(x)' directives, but this does not help
the xelatex warnings.

> You can check whether my writing is correct by re-xelatex'ing your
> changed/updated mini-sample.tex file or by looking up documentation on the
> graphicx/graphics and hyperref packages with texdoc.
>
> If all or at least most of your documents have ISO A4 size you can set up
> with tlmgr (see texdoc tlmgr or man tlmgr) a system-wide preference for this
> paper format and save some bytes in each file. The geometry package is an
> exception: it uses the proprietary default paper size from last millennium,
> from the time TeX was written, i.e., letter. To resolve this issue it's
> necessary to create a file
> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/latex/geometry/geometry.cfg (don't forget
> to run texhash on /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local!) with this single line of
> contents:
>
>        \ExecuteOptions{a4paper}
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>  Pete
>
> No project was ever completed on time and within budget.
>                                – Cheops Law

    -- Schopenhauer

narke
public key at http://subkeys.pgp.net:11371 (narkewoody at gmail.com)