[XeTeX] fontmap warnings (on TexLive 2009)

Steven Woody narkewoody at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 07:25:10 CEST 2009

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Vladimir Lomov <lomov.vl at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 12:43:27AM +0800, Steven Woody wrote:

>>> Some failure happened some time when the MAP files were created from their
>>> fragments. The labm3583 font entry comes from the cm-super-t2a.map MAP file
>>> fragment, possibly in the
>>> /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/fonts/map/dvips/cm-super directory. The
>>> frummt font entry is from the allrunes.map MAP file fragment, possibly in
>>> the /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/fonts/map/dvips/allrunes directory.
>>>
>>> The cure is quite simple: renew the MAP files! This can take many minutes
>>> and during this time you should not run TeX (and no-one else on this
>>> computer!), so you best should leave for lunch. The command is:
>>>
>>>        sudo -H updmap-sys --disable allrunes.map && sudo -H updmap-sys
>>> --enable MixedMap=allrunes.map
>>>
>>> The sudo command on your PC may take other parameters, it might be that it
>>> does not work and you'll have to use su.
>>>
>>> The first 'disable' command will already rebuild the defective MAP files. If
>>> you can live without the mappings for rune fonts, the second command can be
>>> left out. You can also disable any other MAP file fragment. 'updmap
>>> --listmaps' will show all MAP file fragments known to updmap/updmap-sys.
>>>
>>> We don't know yet what the output of 'kpsewhich pdftex.map' is. If it's a
>>> pathname like
>>> /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map then
>>> the command line given above is correct. If it contains something like
>>> /home/<your login id>/.texlive2008/..., then you are using a set of private
>>> MAP files. Their cure is:
>>>
>>>        updmap --disable allrunes.map && updmap --enable
>>> MixedMap=allrunes.map
>>>
>>> No sudo, no su, no -sys. Again, the first command will already cure your
>>> installation and you can disable (or enable) any other MAP file fragment.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Greetings
>>>
>>>  Pete
>>>

>> I just did it and the same xelatex warnings are still there :(
> Ok. Let's try again :)
>
> I think that your updmap.cfg file is broken (something might go wrong when
> it was generated).
>
> I see two different ways to resolve your problem:
>
> 1. Try to update your TL installation. For example (I expect active Internet
> connection):
> # tlmgr --repository http://texlive.guiling.fr update --self --all
> (this will update tlmgr and all installed packages)
> # tlmgr --repository http://texlive.guiling.fr install --reinstall \
>  arabtex
> (now you should have arabtex.map)
> # tlmgr generate updmap
> # updmap-sys
> After that try again to generate pdf file from your source.

I just finished this as instructed, but this has not changed anything,
xelatex warnings are still there.

> 2. Try to fix current TL installation (you don't like to download all
> updates or another good reason). First of all you should determine where
> updmap.cfg file is located:
> $ kpsewhich updmap.cfg
> (mine is here: /usr/local/opt/texlive/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg )
> Check if arabtex.map is in updmap.cfg:
> $ grep arabtex.map $(kpsewhich updmap.cfg)
> (mine result: MixedMap arabtex.map)
> Next delete this line from updmap.cfg with your favorite editor. Or
> # cd $(kpsewhich -var-val=SELFAUTOPARENT)/texmf-config/web2c
> # sed -i.bak -e '/arabtex/d' updmap.cfg
> And run
> # updmap-sys

My updmap.cfg is in ~/.texlive2009/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg and
there is no arabtex.map line in it.  However, the arabtex.map line
found in /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg.

> Note: the 2. way may lead to more errors from updmap-sys (some other map
> files may miss too). I advise to use 1. way.
>
> Note: I assume that you execute these commands in command line:
> '$' means that you execute this command as usual user
> '#' means that you execute this command as admin.
>
> ---
> WBW, Vladimir
>
> --
> <Mercury> Someone fix it.
> <Despair> committed
> <Knghtbrd> Despair: Mercury?
> <Despair> Knghtbrd: he's tired, made a mistake, wanted someone to undo it.
> <Knghtbrd> Despair: so you had him committed?
> <Despair> Knghtbrd: well, dedicated anyways.

    -- Schopenhauer

narke
public key at http://subkeys.pgp.net:11371 (narkewoody at gmail.com)