[XeTeX] Gentium, Tironian Et, and XeTeX

Chris Yocum cyocum at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 00:04:40 CET 2009

Greetings Everyone,
     I have recently switched from using pdflatex to xelatex as it
provided some characters that I could not use in normal latex.  The
one that I really wanted to be able to include in my documents was the
"Tironian et" which appears often in my line of work.  I had taken
some advice from the texhax mail list from years ago to use the number
7 in italic.  That got me through my thesis.  However, I found that
when I attempted to use XeTeX with the Gentium font provided by SIL on
XeTeX, it just left an empty space in the PDF where the symbol should
be.  I tested the PDF in Evince, xPDF, and Acrobat 9 so I know it is
not the viewer but something with XeTeX itself.  I have attached a
minimal example that uses it so you can see the effect.  Any
advice/comments would be gratefully received.

Thank You,
Chris Yocum