[XeTeX] Vertical writing of CJK and fontspec (rawfeature=vertical) misbehaving

Michiel Kamermans pomax at nihongoresources.com
Thu Nov 26 16:43:07 CET 2009

An apology. After lots more websearching and discussion reading, I went
opentype tag hunting and came up with a combination that almost solves
the problem (using Vertical=RotatedGlyphs and
RawFeature=+fwid;+vrt2;+vkna;+vpal), but it's still not quite right - at
least from what I can tell from my short Japanese example, the character
日 is still malaligned (too far too the left rather than centered on top
of 本).

It also leaves the fact that the "vertical" argument that can be passed
to fontspec should probably be called "rotated", instead. Unless it
internally also checks whether vertical tags are used, in which case it
might be checking for vert, but not vrt2 (which is apparently a superset
of vert).

- Mike