[XeTeX] table indentation

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Mon Nov 23 21:27:42 CET 2009

On 24/11/2009, at 6:04 AM, Michiel Kamermans wrote:

>> So either you should put a blank line in the document source,
>> before your table environments, or else you can try making your
>> {mytabular} environments start with \par (before the \noindent,
>> etc. )
> Sadly, the TeX source is mostly uninteresting and spaced out
> properly. The source at http://pomax.nihongoresources.com/downloads/
> temp/texated.tex compiles to http://pomax.nihongoresources.com/
> downloads/temp/texated.pdf for me, and I don't really understand
> why: if I replace the "exampleblock" environments in the document
> body with "itemize", then it doesn't do the crazy spacing, but then
> the lists can be broken up (which I want to expressly disallow).
>
> I don't suppose you have a handy tip for making the samepage
> environment behave? =)

Put in some \goodbreak commands, to encourage page-breaks to occur
both before and after your examples.
viz.

\newenvironment{exampleblock}{%
   \goodbreak
   \begin{samepage}%
   \begin{itemize}%
    ... }%
{
   \end{itemize}%
   \end{samepage}%
   \vfil\goodbreak\vfilneg
   }

The \vfil\goodbreak\vfilneg  sequence means that *if* TeX
chooses the page to break here *then* there will be a \vfil
at the bottom of the page, thus concentrating any extra space
here at the bottom. At the top of the next page, the  \vfilneg
is automatically discarded.

When there is no pagebreak, the effect of the \vfil  is cancelled
by that of the \vfilneg .

This should lead to pages being more full, and for your
examples to be not spread out unduly on any less-full pages.

> - Mike

Hope this helps,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                       ross at maths.mq.edu.au