[XeTeX] table indentation

Michiel Kamermans pomax at nihongoresources.com
Mon Nov 23 20:04:00 CET 2009

Ross,
> You just set the table inside a box, and measure it,
> before inserting it onto the page (or doing something else).
>
> In TeX primitives, the procedure is: [...] You can look at these
> values or use them in conditional tests.
>
> When you know it will fit, you can either put the box onto the page,
> using  \box\testbox   (or \unbox\testbox  is sometimes better,
> especially if it is only a little bit too wide).
>
> Or if the box won't fit as it is, then just ignore it and use
> {longtable}, or whatever other strategy is appropriate.
This is valuable information! It would at the very least mean less
guesswork on the conversion scripts, thanks for the boxing tip!
> Probably you don't have any \parskip  glue at the end of that
> paragraph.  If the table that follows is tied to that paragraph
> without any flexible glue, then TeX cannot tell that it is desirable
> to break there.
>
> So either you should put a blank line in the document source, before
> your table environments, or else you can try making your {mytabular}
> environments start with \par (before the \noindent, etc. )
Sadly, the TeX source is mostly uninteresting and spaced out properly.
The source at
http://pomax.nihongoresources.com/downloads/temp/texated.tex compiles to
http://pomax.nihongoresources.com/downloads/temp/texated.pdf for me, and
I don't really understand why: if I replace the "exampleblock"
environments in the document body with "itemize", then it doesn't do the
crazy spacing, but then the lists can be broken up (which I want to
expressly disallow).

I don't suppose you have a handy tip for making the samepage environment
behave? =)

- Mike