[XeTeX] OS X 10.6.2, ttc fonts, xdvipdfmx and xdv2pdf.

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Nov 16 16:45:15 CET 2009

On Nov 16, 2009, at 9:00 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> On 16 Nov 2009, at 14:50, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> It seems a bit inconsistent here, Sigh...
>>
>> Try to create a file to be compiled by xe(la)tex that uses the Hoefler Text and the Gill Sans fonts and compile it.
>
> BTW, I'm aware that some versions of 10.6.x have included a buggy version of Hoefler Text that can crash ATSUI, or so it seems, depending on the exact text sequences used. This was supposedly improved in 10.6.2 but I don't have personal experience of it to verify...
>
> To identify more precisely what's crashing, it would be helpful to run xelatex and xdvipdfmx separately (use the -no-pdf option). And are you getting crash logs (viewable e.g. using Console.app) that show where the process is crashing?
>
> JK

Howdy,

Sorry, I forgot all about crash logs. I've got a bunch from xdv2pdf and also a bunch from xetex but don't see any specifically for xdvipdfmx so maybe my analysis about that is off.

The xetex crashes are from 09-11-11 which is probably after I did a standard update to 10.6.2 but before I ran the Combo updater. The xdv2pdf crashes are from 09-11-15, yesterday, when I was doing some more testing of trying to use xdv2pdf as a workaround.

I'll try out separating the xetex and xdvipdfmx processing. Now that xetex isn't crashing what I see are the classic ttc problems; incorrect font variants, weights and ligatures in the final pdf.

For your information I've Hoefler Text.ttc version 6.1d7e1 and GillSans.ttc versions 6.1d9e1.

I have no idea how to ``read'' crash logs so I've taken two of the multiples of each type and attach them here.