[XeTeX] Change font metric?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Nov 9 17:26:36 CET 2009

Am 09.11.2009 um 13:51 schrieb Thierry:

> You mention an "adobe-text" option. How could I produce this? I
> don't know where the rules applied by the Mapping=tex-text option
> are defined. IS there a way to do the same with pdflatex? (I use it
> for some projects).

In /usr/local/texlive/<year>/texmf-dist/fonts/misc/xetex/fontmapping/
base you'll find tex-text.map and tex-text.tec. The former is the
text or source file, with a simple input format. There you'll find
the rule to convert APOSTROPHE at U+0027 to RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION
MARK at U+2019. The ";" is a comment character, so you could easily
disable this particular rule. The programme teckit_compile, coming
with TeX Live 2009, creates the binary .tec version which XeTeX uses.

In pdfTeX you can use CMAP files to tell the PDF viewer how to map a
sequence of text representing bytes to a particular character. On the
command line "texdoc -l cmap" will show you some docs on the topic
"CMAP." Use the simple README text file. It explains a few things.
In /usr/local/texlive/<year>/texmf-dist/tex/latex/cmap you'll some
example CMAP files Vladimir Volovich provides. And also the STY file,
which should be loaded very early.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Imbecility, n.:
	A kind of divine inspiration, or sacred fire affecting censorious
critics of this dictionary.
				– Ambrose Bierce: _The Devil's Dictionary_