[XeTeX] Change font metric?

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Sun Nov 8 23:16:04 CET 2009

Hello

If it's just the Minion Pro apostrophes and closing quotes that are causing
you problems, try the following at the start of your file:

\catcode"2019=\active

\def’{\leavevmode \kern 1sp \hbox{'}}

\catcode"201D=\active

\def”{\leavevmode \kern 1sp \hbox{''}}

If you have ':mapping=tex-text' when you call the font, thus:

\font \minionten = "MinionPro-Regular:+onum:mapping=tex-text" at 10pt

you should then find that ’ and ” in your input file will be acceptably
spaced in the PDF generated by XeTeX.

(If you have trouble keying ’ and ”, you can use ' and '' and
search-and-replace them when you have finished composing your file.)

I find that there is still a collision when you have lower-case f followed
by apostrophe:  I get round that by having an automated search-and-replace
on files using Minion Pro to insert a \kern 0.2em after the f - not very
elegant but at least it gets the job done.  (As I've said in some other
threads, one would dearly like a custom-kern option that could be invoked
when calling a font - that would allow users to draw up a ker table
containing their own manual adjustments of unacceptably spaced pairs without
delving into the font itself.)

 Hope this helps

John