[XeTeX] Hyphenation in XeTeX polyglossia

Bogdan Burlacu froz3nshade at gmail.com
Sun May 17 15:32:18 CEST 2009

On Sun, 17 May 2009 07:05:48 -0500
"Axel E. Retif" <axel.retif at mac.com> wrote:

> On  17 May, 2009, at 04:54, Bogdan Burlacu wrote:
>
> > I'm having trouble getting hyphenation to work, using TexLive 2008
> > ("vanilla" install using the texlive installer).
> >
> > I checked language.dat and it appears to be ok [...]
>
> I don't know really know Xe(La)TeX ---and I don't speak Romanian---,
> but for what I see polyglossia uses its special file gloss-
> romanian.ldf (inside
> /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/tex/xelatex/polyglossia).
>
> I copy-pasted a paragraph from Wikipedia and this typesets OK for me:
>
> \documentclass[12pt]{article}
> \usepackage[romanian]{polyglossia}
> \usepackage{fontspec,xltxtra,xunicode}
> \defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
> \setromanfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Hoefler Text}
> \setsansfont[Scale=MatchLowercase,Mapping=tex-text]{Gill Sans}
> \setmonofont[Scale=MatchLowercase]{Andale Mono}
> \begin{document}
> Limba română este vorbită în toată lumea de aproximativ 26 de
> milioane de persoane. Dintre acestea, 20 de milioane se află în
> România (unde româna, respectiv dialectul supranumit dacoromân este
> limbă oficială şi, conform datelor din 2002, limbă maternă pentru
> peste 90\% din populaţie).
> \end{document}
>
> Can you tell the people on this list what platform are you using and
> when was the last time you updated your TeX Live distribution?
>
> Also, a minimal non-working example with its log file might be useful.
>
> Best,
>
> Axel

Hello and thanks for the reply,

Typesetting the document is not a problem, I'm having
trouble with hyphenation, I mean, it does a poor job separating
syllables. I have no errors except for the warnings I already posted (I
attached the latex log).

I've tried regenerating xelatex.fmt (ftmutil --byfmt
/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-var/web2c/xetex/xelatex.fmt), and
regenerating everything with fmtutil --all. No change.

I also noticed that there are several language.dat files, same for
hyphen.cfg:

/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/doc/generic/babel/language.dat
/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/source/generic/babel/language.dat
/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/tex/generic/config/language.dat
/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-var/tex/generic/config/language.dat
/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf/tex/generic/config/language.dat

/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/tex/generic/babel/hyphen.cfg
/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/tex/cslatex/base/hyphen.cfg

I'm using texlive 2008 (updated yesterday), my platform is linux
(source mage).

Any thoughts?