[XeTeX] No underdot in Adobe Garamond Pro?

Rembrandt Wolpert wolpert at uark.edu
Thu May 7 22:12:16 CEST 2009

Hi Ulrike,

this finally solved my personal problem: in Chinese transliteration you need
on an Umlaut (actually, just on ü) "accents" which actually denote the tones
of Chinese; so modifying your suggestion to

\newcommand\zhtone[2]{%
 {\fontencoding{OT1}\selectfont
  #1{\fontencoding{EU1}\selectfont #2}}}

allows the four different tones of standard Chinese, e.g. lü

first tone: l\zhtone{\=}{ü}\\
second tone: l\zhtone{\'}{ü}\\
third tone l\zhtone{\u}{ü}\\
fourth tone l\zhtone{\`}{ü} \\

(see attached file)

(and -- unicode or no unicode -- there are only very few fonts that cater
for pinyin-with-tones-over-umlaut; I know the result isn't "perfect" -- but
it is correct.)

Now I can drop my xunicode :-).

Many thanks, again,
Rembrandt