[XeTeX] No underdot in Adobe Garamond Pro?

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Wed May 6 19:21:01 CEST 2009

Am Wed, 6 May 2009 11:57:07 -0500 schrieb Rembrandt Wolpert:

> I attach the test.tex that works for me (and the pdf which results). Note
> that I had to explicitly load xunicode (without that it fails -- that's the
> weird bit), and that I had to load polyglossia after the incantation for
> xunicode and xltxtra. (I don't have a plain Garaond, so I subsituted
> Garamond Premier Pr -- which reacts like the Adobe Garamond Pro -- addition
> of xunicode and rearranged polyglossia)

This only works because you are actually not loading xunicode at
all. xunicode makes its declarations for  encoding "\UTFencname".
The default for \UTFencname is U, but fontspec changes it to EU1. So
you have a lot of definitions for the encoding U which will never be
used and none for encoding EU1.

So when you later use \d there is no definition for encoding EU1 and
the default definition of OT1 (\DeclareTextAccentDefault{\d}{OT1} in
latex) is used. That works (and is also suggested in the link I
mentioned).

But you are paying a high price. A lot of other commands declared by
xunicode will not work, Try e.g. this once with xunicode and once
without:

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
%\usepackage{xunicode}
\usepackage{xltxtra}