[XeTeX] cannot get Hoefler text to work with XeTeX

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Mar 18 15:50:24 CET 2009

On Mar 18, 2009, at 9:20 AM, Rolf Schmolling wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a newby to XeTeX though I have successfully used it to some
> extend in recent past.
>
> Now when I try to use Hoefler text in a document, I get the following
> error:
>
> ***
> Invalid fontname `Hoefler Text ', contains ' '
>
> ! Font \zf at basefont="Hoefler Text " at 10.0pt not loadable: Metric
> (TFM) file o
> r installed font not found.
> \zf at fontspec ...ntname \zf at suffix " at \f at size pt
>                                                   \unless \ifzf at icu
> \zf at set@...
> l.24 }
>
> (More detailed Log below)
>
> In fact I can do the same with Garamond or Didot.
>
> This is in OSX 10.5.6 German , MBP 2.33 GH 2GB Ram, TeXLive, all
> recent updates applied via TLU.
>
> The code for a (minimum) example-document which fails is as follows:
> ******

Howdy,

There is an initial space BEFORE the Hoefler Text (after the initial
{) and fontspec is taking the exact argument as given. Change

\setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text, Numbers=OldStyle]{
Hoefler Text%
}
\setsansfont[Scale=MatchLowercase,Mapping=tex-text]{
Hoefler Text}

\setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text, Numbers=OldStyle]{%
Hoefler Text%
}
\setsansfont[Scale=MatchLowercase,Mapping=tex-text]{%
Hoefler Text}

(notice the extra %!!!) and it seems to work.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)