[XeTeX] ArabXeTeX: Alif Maqsura

Tilman Hannemann tilmanh at uni-bremen.de
Sat Mar 14 23:56:18 CET 2009

Hello,

This is another question regarding ArabXeTeX in "fullvoc"-mode and I
am sure that this time no other package is involved. Please compare
the output of the two test examples below. The first shows how
ArabTeX renders a word with "alif maqsura", a special letter
representing a long "a" vocal at the end of the word. In the second
example, ArabXeTeX seems to interpret the alif maqsura as an ordinary
letter, and since no vocal follows at the end of the word, it places
a silent marker "sukkun" above it. This is not what it supposed to be
– may I report this as a bug? Or did I miss something?

Best,

Tilman

---

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{arabtex}
\begin{document}

\fullvocalize
\<`al_A>

\end{document}

---

\documentclass{minimal}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\newfontfamily{\arabicfont}[Script=Arabic,Scale=1.7]{Scheherazade}
\usepackage{arabxetex}
\begin{document}

\textarab[fullvoc]{`al_A}

\end{document}