[XeTeX] inputenc for XeTeX

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 06:37:39 CET 2009

Dear all,

I'm sure you're all aware of the problems that new users face switching
to XeTeX; one of the most common mistakes is to call inputenc:

    \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}

In TeX Live 2009, I'd like to fix that up. After all, writing that
above should simply continue to process the file in UTF8 mode.

If it works well enough we'll do our best to include it as part of the
official inputenc  package in TeX Live 2009. If anyone would like to
test it out I'd greatly welcome feedback. I've got a beta version of a
package here called "xetex-inputenc":
  <http://github.com/wspr/xetex-inputenc/tree/master>

The aim of the package is to fix the [utf8] case mentioned above. Other
encodings work as well, such as [ansinew] or [latin1]. However, some
third party packages that write material to an auxiliary file will end
up breaking because it's impossible to flag when they're reading in the
XeTeX-generated material. Such is life... but who uses XeTeX to process
new documents with older encodings, right? :-)

Many thanks,
Will