[XeTeX] Tabulated RTL poetry

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Sat Jan 24 13:46:05 CET 2009

Hello

I'm a plain TeX/XeTeX user so am not sure whether normal TeX commands work
differently in the LaTeX environment, but in such a situation plain TeX
could use e.g.

\def\parttwo#1{\unskip \endgraf \nobreak \kern -\baselineskip
       \nobreak \noindent \hskip 12pc #1\endgraf}

Your post-caesural parts would then all be included in \partwo{TEXT HERE}

(Of course change 12pc to whatever indentation you require.)

You could have instead e.g. \syriacline with two arguments so that the
command includes the entire line:

\def\syriacline#1#2{\leavevmode #1\parttwo{#2}} (assuming you've already
defined \parttwo as above).  You would then have each line enclosed in the
command:

\syriacline{FIRST BIT OF TEXT}{SECOND BIT OF TEXT}

Or if it helps visually

\syriacline{FIRST BIT OF TEXT}%
        {SECOND BIT OF TEXT}
But
there may well be a much more elegant solution within LaTeX.

John

Oxford