[XeTeX] Garogier [was: Aimwell font problem]

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Mon Jan 12 21:13:47 CET 2009

On 12 Jan 2009, at 19:17, Gareth Hughes wrote:

> Now, I've got another typeface that presents similar problems. The
> font
> is Garogier, available from
> http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~slam/fonts/fonts.html. Running
> OpenType-Info.tex reveals that latn/dflt has no features and grek/dflt
> has two mark tables. However, in FontForge, I can see that latn/dflt
> should have lnum, smcp, hist, liga, dlig and aalt. Obviously, XeTeX
> cannot access any of these features. Can anyone see what's going on
> here?

I'm not yet sure why XeTeX isn't reporting the features properly, but
inspecting the font by hand, I see that it is misusing some feature
tags. For example, it has a 'mark' feature in the GSUB table in
addition to the GPOS (which is why it gets reported twice for Greek).
This is wrong; 'mark' is specified in the OpenType registry as a
positioning feature. It looks like it's being used here to substitute
alternate accent forms for Greek, but 'locl' (localized forms) would
have been a more appropriate feature to use for that.

Another example is that it uses 'lnum' as both GSUB and GPOS, which
does not conform to the feature description in the OpenType tag
registry. In general, I don't think it is ever expected that a single
feature tag will be implemented in both GSUB and GPOS tables, and I
wouldn't be surprised if applications fail to handle this in a
consistent manner.

However, that still doesn't explain why XeTeX can't seem to see any of
the Latin features..... further investigation needed.