[XeTeX] Aimwell font problem

Gareth Hughes garzohugo at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 20:17:02 CET 2009

Jonathan Kew wrote:
 > (I see that some discussions at the high-logic.com web site, which
> relate to the tools used for these fonts, show an example with the
> script tag 'dflt'. However, they use it *in addition to* 'latn', in
> which case things would have worked; but in any case I believe it is
> wrong. The tag for a "default script" should be 'DFLT' (uppercase),
> judging by the list on Adobe's developer site and at http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/scripttags.htm
> . The lowercase tag 'dflt' is correct for the default *language*
> within a script, but not as an actual script tag. This seems to be
> incorrectly documented in several places, including the Symbian web
> site and even some text found on Adobe's own site, unfortunately!)

I spoke to the font's creator, and he has modified the script tags so
that they now work as intended. Vafa's ingenious suggestion of using
\newfontscript{DFLT}{dflt} also works, of course, but it seems better to
get the font compliant rather than have to remember these work-arounds.

Now, I've got another typeface that presents similar problems. The font
is Garogier, available from
http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~slam/fonts/fonts.html. Running
OpenType-Info.tex reveals that latn/dflt has no features and grek/dflt
has two mark tables. However, in FontForge, I can see that latn/dflt
should have lnum, smcp, hist, liga, dlig and aalt. Obviously, XeTeX
cannot access any of these features. Can anyone see what's going on here?

Thanks,

Gareth.

--
Gareth Hughes