[XeTeX] Using XeTeX

rm2kpro at gmail.com rm2kpro at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 23:24:47 CET 2009

Hello.
I’m running Windows XP (32-bit) and I installed the MikTeX distribution.
I looked for
an editor which supports Unicode and I chose WinShell.
I can perfectly compile documents using pdflatex, but xelatex doesn’t
want to work for
me. I defined a ‘user program’ in WinShell, entered the path for xelatex
and I put the
following in the command line: ‘-src-specials -interaction=nonstopmode
“%s.tex”’.
When I run it, it gives this output:

This is XeTeX, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.997 (MiKTeX 2.7)
entering extended mode
LaTeX2e <2005/12/01>
Babel <v3.8j> and hyphenation patterns for english, dumylang,
nohyphenation, ge
rman, ngerman, french, loaded.
! Undefined control sequence.
<*> ^^Ótest
.tex^^Ô

! LaTeX Error: Missing \begin{document}.

Type H <return> for immediate help.

<*> ^^Ótest.
tex^^Ô
Missing character: There is no . in font nullfont!
Missing character: There is no t in font nullfont!
Missing character: There is no e in font nullfont!
Missing character: There is no x in font nullfont!
! Emergency stop.
<*> ^^Ótest.tex^^Ô

No pages of output.
Transcript written on texput.log.

What should I do? Do you recommend me another editor?

Regards.
Gökhan