[XeTeX] IM Fell Type and XeTeX

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Sat Feb 14 22:04:57 CET 2009

On 14 Feb 2009, at 20:36, Apostolos Syropoulos wrote:

> >Is there a way around this? Well, Creative Commons licenses may be
> a way to resolve these >issues. If you have not heard of them, I
> would strongly suggest that you take a look at it
> >http://creativecommons.org/
>
> First of all this is dead link: Error 503 Service Unavailable.

Works fine for me.

> Now being curious may
> I ask what is wrong with the Open Font License?

While I think the OFL is good, and would encourage people to use it,
not every font designer wishes to release his or her work under those
particular terms. For example, the OFL permits the creation of
derivative works; some designers do not want to allow this. On the
other hand, it also imposes restrictions: specifically, that
derivative works must also be OFL-licensed; some designers may prefer
not to impose any such restriction.

IMO, the license statement accompanying the IM Fell fonts makes it
pretty clear that the designer has certain specific wishes regarding
the distribution and use of this work, and as they stand, these wishes
are not compatible with the OFL.