[XeTeX] hyphenating words with a hyphen

Alexey Kryukov anagnost at yandex.ru
Mon Feb 2 01:34:30 CET 2009

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 00:44:31 +0100
Adam Twardoch wrote:

> This is an "undesired" orthographic convention in some languages and
> "desired" in others. For example in Polish, if you hyphenate a
> compound word such as "zielono-niebieski" at the hyphen, the result
> should look like the following:
> zielono-
> -niebieski

What I currently get with XeTeX is two hyphens at the same line (e. g.

zielono--
niebieski

rather than one hyphen closing the first line and another starting the
second one. Frankly speaking, I don't believe this effect would look
acceptable for any known language. I also don't see any reasonable way
packages like Polyglossia can influence this behavior, because the way
hyphen and hyphenchar are handled seems to be hardcoded in the TeX
engine.

That's why I have proposed adding new rules for \XeTeXlinebreaklocale
as one possible solution.

--
Regards,
Alexey Kryukov <anagnost at yandex dot ru>

Moscow State University
Historical Faculty