[XeTeX] Font names that result in errors

Joachim Trinkwitz jtr at uni-bonn.de
Sun Feb 1 01:06:39 CET 2009

Am 30.01.2009 um 17:38 schrieb Pander:

> Pander wrote:
>> I have found two fontnames that result in an error with XeLaTeX on an
>> Ubuntu system. These are:
>>
>> \fontspec{API PHONÉTIQUE}
> /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-linex/apiregul.ttf of the ttf-linex
> package
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \begin{document}
> \fontspec{API PHONÉTIQUE}Blah
> \end{document}
> kpathsea: Illegal fontname `API PHONÉTIQUE': contains ' '
> ! Font \zf at basefont="API PHONÉTIQUE" at 10.0pt not loadable: Metric
> (TFM) file
> or installed font not found.

In many cases XeTeX prefers the so-called Postscript name. You can
find out about that with running otfinfo on the font, like that:

hermeneut:~ joachim$ otfinfo -i Downloads/ttf-linex-2.2.orig/
apiregul.ttf
Family:              API  PHON
TIQUE
Subfamily:           Regular
Full name:           API  PHON
TIQUE
PostScript name:     APIPHONTIQUE
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Preferred family:    API  PHON
TIQUE
Preferred subfamily: Regular
Mac font menu name:  API  PHON
TIQUE
Version:             Version 1.0; 2003; initial release
Unique ID:           Juan JosÈ Marcos. API  PHON
TIQUE: 2003
[etc., shortened here]

But unfortunately, XeTeX has problems with this font anyway, changing
the fontname in your example produces another error message:

** ERROR ** Cannot proceed without the "native" font: APIPHONTIQUE
(API  PHON
TIQUE Regular)...
Output file removed.

So I think this font is broken in some way.

>> and
>> \fontspec{cmr10}
> /usr/share/fonts/truetype/latex-xft-fonts/cmr10.ttf of package
> latex-xft-fonts

Use the Latin Modern fonts, which come in OTF format too.

Joachim

Dr. Joachim Trinkwitz     E-Mail: jtr at uni-bonn.de
Institut für Germanistik, Tel.: 0228-737565
Vergleichende Literatur-  Fax: 0228-737479
und Kulturwissenschaft    www.germanistik.uni-bonn.de
der Universität Bonn      53012 Bonn