[XeTeX] Kashida option for polyglossia or bidi?

Fr. Michael Gilmary FrMichaelGilmary at MaroniteMonks.org
Mon Aug 31 18:23:41 CEST 2009

Khaled Hosny wrote:

> IMHO, this level if Kashida support is very poor typographically (and
> calligrapphically). Kashida is very font dependant and there are rules
> where (in the word and in the line) to apply Kashida and how long should
> it be etc. and this differs from calligraphic style to another (what
> apply to Nastaliq, for example, doesn't apply to Naskh).

How could someone learn those rules? Is it something that --- at least
for the typographic forms --- can be reduced to some program code
(probably very complex)? I really don't know the languages, so pardon my
ignorance. I'm supposing that at least something can be done in this
direction, if it hasn't begun already. (That's the idea behind the
attempt from Jonathan's sample).

--
United in adoration of Jesus,

fr. michael gilmary, mma