[XeTeX] Res: small caps not searcheable

David Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Tue Aug 4 17:32:58 CEST 2009

I am very eager to get a handle on what's happening here so I understand
how XeLaTeX and fontspec handle small capitals.

I assumed -- wrongly -- that typing \textsc{} activated the true
Opentype or AAT small capital feature, if the font contained it and one
was using fontspec.  I just did a quick test, copying some text from a
PDF that I made using Linux Libertine (which contains OT smcp features).
  When I pasted the text into Word I got the PUA smallcaps, not true
caps (or even lowercase letters).  Flavio's experience with Minio Pro
(older version that has the PUA assignments) bears this out.  As I think
about it now, though, it does make sense to me that XeTeX would behave
this way.

As soon as I can, I will test a XeLaTeX document, using fontspec to
specifically call OT small caps.  I do not own any of the newer Adobe
fonts where they have removed the PUA values from the small caps.  Could
anyone try one of those fonts and let us know what happens?  I'm
guessing that using \textsc{} won't work at all.

Asking users to search using the "faulty" PUA values is not a realistic
option--that why we need OT/AAT features.  For that reason I wouldn't
start messing with cmaps, which are not for the faint of heart.  (I'm
not sure I agree fonts that use the small cap PUA values are faulty, but
that's a whole different discussion.)

David