[XeTeX] Res: small caps not searcheable

Flavio Costa flaviocosta at yahoo.com.br
Tue Aug 4 13:14:50 CEST 2009

Hi Peter,

"In the latter case the letters come from the Basic Latin block of Unicode, in the former they are taken from the PUA, the Private Use Area, where Junicode, Cardo, Caslon ... encode (or save) their real small capitals."

Do you know why Computer Modern works as expected?

"If you want to be able to search small capitals, then use only the faulty ones. Or add a CMAP that maps them into the Basic Latin (or some other appropriate) block."

What do you mean by "use only the faulty ones"? From what I've been reading yesterday, new Adobe font do not encode small caps in the PUA anymore, they make it accessible only via OpenType Layout features. Since Minion Pro have its small caps in the PUA, adding a cmap may be a good option. Unfortunately I don't know how to do it...

I just found the cmap package:
http://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/cmap/

However, I'm not sure it works with XeLaTeX, maybe it does by adding a <encoding>.cmap?

Thanks for the answer,

Flavio Costa