[XeTeX] squeezing vertical space before/after verse environment

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Mon Aug 3 17:35:11 CEST 2009

Hello

I don't use LaTeX but I've always found that it's best to specify the space round displayed matter as 'x minus y' (the maximum less some y) and not 'x plus y' (the minimum plus some y), since with the latter TeX will sometimes stretch it to a great (and unacceptable) amount if the pagination is falling awkwardly and that is the least-penalty way for it to complete the page.  Something like

\vskip 0.75\baselineskip minus 0.25\baselineskip

before and after the displayed matter should be OK. (You can put at the start something like

\def\verseskip{\vskip 0.75\baselineskip minus 0.25\baselineskip}

and then use \verseskip in your environment definition.  You can then tinker with the definition of \verseskip until everything looks nice.

Hope this helps.

John