[XeTeX] XeTeX incorrectly scales JPEG and other graphics files

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Sep 13 00:50:10 CEST 2008

Hello!

When inserting a JPEG image (can also be PDF or PNG) XeTeX uses the
extractbb programme to create a file <graphics file name>.xbb and to
write the image's bounding box into that auxiliary file. LaTeX
(pdfeTeX) uses for the same purpose the programme ebb which puts that
data into a file <graphics file name>.bb. Both programmes extractbb
and ebb are sym-links to dvipdfmx. But the contents of the two files
is different:

	diff playloud.xbb playloud.bb
	3,4c3,4
	< %%BoundingBox: 0 0 85 40
	< %%CreationDate: Sat Sep 13 00:18:46 2008
	---
	> %%BoundingBox: 0 0 297 140
	> %%CreationDate: Sat Sep 13 00:17:44 2008

XeTeX, when using xdvipdfmx or xdv2pdf as output driver, produces
obviously a (by a factor of at least 3) too small image (it should
have the same height as the shorter text):

	\documentclass{article}
	\usepackage{ifpdf,ifxetex,graphicx}
	\ifxetex
	    \usepackage[no-math]{fontspec}
	%    \usepackage{xltxtra,xunicode}
	%    \defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
	    \setmainfont{Times-Roman}
	\else
	  \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
	  \ifpdf
	    \usepackage{cmap}
	    \usepackage{times}
	  \else
	    \usepackage{times}
	  \fi
	  \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
	  \usepackage[full]{textcomp}
	\fi
	\listfiles
	\pagestyle{empty}

	\begin{document}

	  \noindent\fontsize{15.625mm}{15pt}\selectfont monks\\
	  \fontsize{4mm}{15pt}\selectfont the transatlantic feedback

	  \includegraphics[height=16mm]{playloud.jpg}

	\end{document}

The size of the JPEG is correct when I load graphicx separately with
the dvipdfmx option. I am using a pre-release TeX Live 2008 from four
weeks ago (2008-08-14).

--
Greetings

   Pete

There's no sense in being precise when you don't even know what
you're talking about.
				– John von Neumann