[XeTeX] quotation on scripts needed

Tobi Kellner tobi_kellner at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 4 19:17:41 CEST 2008

Hello,

at the risk of slightly abusing this list with a non-xetex-technical question:

I'm slowly finishing my M.Sc. thesis on pronunciation-based input mechanisms for languages with non-Roman scripts (essentially on how to enter Hindi/Tamil/Arabic/anything using intuitive, non-standardized romanizations).
(Contact me if you want to know more!).

As the purpose of my research was to enable more people to use computers with their own language, and, more specifically, their own script, it would be great to have a nice quote which somehow emphasizes the importance of being able to use your own language in its own script (as opposed to, say, the whole world using English, or all languages being somehow written using the Latin alphabet).

As for using Xetex: my thesis is now at around 120 pages, the list of figures is a page long, and Xetex has worked like a charm. Alongside English text, I have mostly used Devanagari text (Hindi) (alongside some Katakana and Arabic), usually individual words embedded in English sentences. No problems at all.

I'm using Windows XP and - somewhat unusual choice - Eclipse (with the Texlipse plugin) as an editor, as it supports UTF 8 and has some nice features such as CVS support.

Thank you for your quotes, and thanks for supporting xetex.

Greetings,

Tobi

Tobi Kellner <Tobi_Kellner at yahoo.com>
web: www.tobias-kellner.de