[XeTeX] Problem with apacite and fontspec

Diederick C. Niehorster diederick at niehorster.eu
Thu Oct 2 18:09:41 CEST 2008

Dear Xetex Users,

I've just discovered XeteX and got very excited by it. So I decided to
practice and convert a work in progress from plain LateX to XeteX (well,
just add some fontspec stuff to select a different (OpenType) font). I ran
into the following problem:

When both the packages apacite and fontspec are loaded and I cite more than
one paper by the same authors from the same year, I get an error message
during compilation.

If I don't load either apacite (just use plainnat.bst with natbib) or
fontspec, this error does not occur.

The error message occurring is:

------

! Undefined control sequence.

\@calc at post@scan ...fi \fi \fi \fi \fi \calc at next

l.16 ...e item works fine: \citet{Wertheimer1967a}

------

This error is not specific to the two papers I cite in the example, it
occurs with others also.

Any ideas on how to fix this or is this a bug incompatibility in one of the
packages that has to be fixed?

Thanks,

Diederick

Example files:

------ natfonttest.tex (uncomment the line %However to reproduce the error)

\documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{article}

\usepackage[tocbib]{apacite}

\usepackage[sort]{natbib}

\usepackage{fontspec}   % provides font selecting commands

\title{Apacite Test}

\author{Me}

\begin{document}

\maketitle

\begin{abstract}

    Testing apacite with fontspec:

\end{abstract}

Citing items with the same author from the same year creates problems:

Citing one item works fine: \citet{Wertheimer1967a}.

%However, when citing more than one we run into problems:
\citet{Wertheimer1967b}.

The problem seems to be with the \verb \BCnt ~command that shows up when

siting more items from the same author and the same year.

\bibliographystyle{apacite}

\bibliography{natfonttest}

\end{document}

------

------ natfonttest.bib

@INCOLLECTION{Wertheimer1967a,

  author = {Max Wertheimer},

  title = {Experimentelle {S}tudien \"uber das {S}ehen von {B}ewegung},

  booktitle = {Drei {A}bhandlungen zur {G}estalttheorie},

  publisher = {Wissenschaftliche Buchgesellschaft},

  year = {1967},

  pages = {1--105},

  address = {Darmstadt},

  edition = {2},

  originaljournal = {Zeitschrift f\"ur Psychologie},

  originalpages = {161--265},

  originalvolumee = {61},

  originalyear = {1912},

  owner = {Diederick},

  timestamp = {2008.05.10}

}

@INCOLLECTION{Wertheimer1967b,

  author = {Max Wertheimer},

  title = {\"{U}ber das {D}enken der {N}aturv\"olker, {Z}ahlen und
{Z}ahlgebilde},

  booktitle = {Drei {A}bhandlungen zur {G}estalttheorie},

  publisher = {Wissenschaftliche Buchgesellschaft},

  year = {1967},

  pages = {106--161},

  address = {Darmstadt},

  edition = {2},

  originaljournal = {Zeitschrift f\"ur Psychologie},

  originalpages = {321--378},

  originalvolumee = {60},

  originalyear = {1911},

  owner = {Diederick},