[XeTeX] Charis SIL glyph variants

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Tue Nov 18 14:23:00 CET 2008

On 18 Nov 2008, at 12:20, Will Robertson wrote:

> On 18/11/2008, at 10:24 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>
>> Yes - the interface is a lot like that for AAT features, with the
>> font
>> providing human-friendly names. They also have underlying numeric
>> IDs,
>> but there's no general "registry" of these, like there is for (some)
>> AAT features. I presume the feature IDs are consistent across the
>> various extended-Latin fonts from SIL, for instance, but beyond
>> that I
>> don't think you can assume anything. It's up to authors to specify
>> the
>> names that their fonts support.
>
> That's what I feared. There shouldn't be a technical problem with
> supporting this, of course, but the lack of any sort of organisation
> scares me a little bit :)
>
> (I think the AAT method is best, where a back-end can query and set
> known features, but where the user interface at the font level is
> readable and extensible.)
>
> I should know this already...but is there an equivalent of OpenType-
> info.tex for Graphite fonts? Anything you've got lying around would
> make things easier for me... :)

Because the feature/setting interface looks the same, you can just run
AAT-info, I believe (with the /GR option on the font name).

Charis SIL is a good font to try, as it supports Graphite as well as
OpenType and AAT, but you'll see that the exact collection of features
varies depending which rendering technology you use.