[XeTeX] arabxetex Fonts are not connected

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu May 22 15:36:54 CEST 2008

On 22 May 2008, at 2:24 pm, François Charette wrote:

> Marek Stepanek a écrit :
>> Hello all!
>>
>> Compiling the following file, I get only not connected Arbic Fonts
>> in the
>> pdf-output:
>>
> <...>
>> The Font Scheherazade is installed three times, on my Mac (10.4.11):
>>
>> /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype/public/arab/
>> Scheherazade.t
>> tf
>>
>> and
>>
>> /Library/Fonts/Scheherazade.ttf
>> ~/Library/Fonts/ScheherazadeRegAAT.ttf
>>
>> compiling this file I get the following error:
>>
>> " Font "Scheherazade-AAT/ICU"does not contain script 'Arabic' "
>>

> My guess is that you are processing an AAT font with xdvipdfmx instead
> of xdv2pdf. You should either use the OpenType version
> (Scheherazade.ttf) or try the AAT version with xdv2pdf (by calling
> xelatex --output-driver=xdv2pdf). But Mac users should be better
> placed
> to help you on this.

The issue isn't the output driver, but the fact that the font is
being loaded with the option /ICU which forces OpenType-based
rendering. That's correct for OpenType fonts, but not for AAT; for
those, you want the /AAT option instead. (Or specify neither, and
xetex should pick the appropriate one by default.)

If you're loading the font through fontspec, the option
[Renderer=AAT] should do this, or just *remove* [Renderer=ICU] if you
currently have that.