[XeTeX] XeTeX and diacritics

Daniel Stender uzstzm at uni-bonn.de
Mon Mar 24 16:58:07 CET 2008

Jonathan Kew wrote:

> The current Gentium release has only limited support for diacritics
> (it has lots of Unicode precomposed forms, but doesn't do accurate
> placement of arbitrary combining marks). You might like to try a font
> such as Charis SIL (see http://scripts.sil.org/CharisSILfont; I think
> it may also be available somewhere in Debian), which has more
> complete support for combining marks.
>
> (Charis also has a bold weight available.)
>
> JK

I've just installed Charis SIL (Debian Lenny: ttf-sil-charis 4.102-1) and I've
got strange double words. Please check the attached pdf, in the German translation
of the text in \footnotesize italics within braces there is always a "a-a-b-"
doubling instead of an "a-b-" which has been originally typed (apūrva-apūrva-matra- etc. etc.)!

Daniel Stender