[XeTeX] Fwd: xetex and friends for fedora 8

Kirk Lowery empirical.humanist at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 15:41:55 CET 2008

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 9:54 PM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:

 > On Friday 14 March 2008, Kirk Lowery wrote:
 >  > Fedora will be moving to TeXLive eventually, from what I hear, but
 >  > until then installing TeXLive along with teTeX is problematic.
 >  >
 >  > Does anyone have experience with xetex on a Fedora system? Is there a
 >  > recommended rpm? How best can xetex co-exist with teTeX right now?
 >  >
 >  > TIA!
 >  >
 >  > Kirk

 >  I'm using texlive from F9 on F8.  Works pretty well so far.

 Update: I followed the instructions and downloaded texlive rpms for
 F8. It turns out they've unbundled xetex from texlive, so one has to
 install 'texlive-xetex' packages. But the problems didn't end there.
 There is a dependency on a 'dvipdfmx', which is not in the F8
 repositories. I had to download it from the F9 'rawhide' repo. But
 xelatex would not work. Reason: it wants xdvipdfmx and that, too, was
 only in the rawhide repo. Anyway, it works now, and hopefully the
 upgrade path is painless...

 Kirk