[XeTeX] Configuring kile to use xelatex

Nickkk nickkk at phonecoop.coop
Fri Mar 21 09:27:30 CET 2008

On Thursday 20 March 2008 15:08:43 Ján Zahornadský wrote:
> I think this is just a Kile configuration issue. Actually the whole
> process of "integrating" the XeLaTex into Kile for me was adding one
> button, which moreover was copied from pdflatex tool and changed the
> binary name ;-)
>
> Configure Kile -> tools -> new -> create some name -> behaviour like
> pdflatex -> change command into "xelatex"
>
> Kirk Lowery wrote:
> > I'm trying to integrate xelatex into kile, now that I have xetex
> > installed on my Fedora 8 box. I'm not familiar with kile, and creating
> > a "tool" for xelatex is non-trivial.

I set mine up a couple of years ago. I was confused whether I needed to
specify page size (I use the geometry package).  When I set it up I needed
to.  But this may not need to be specified now.  This is what I have and it
has worked fine for a couple of years:

(a) Landscape A4

Command: xelatex

(b) A4

Command: xelatex -papersize=a4 %S.tex

(c) A5

Command:  xelatex -papersize=a5 %S.tex

And while I'm at it I also have:

(d) Booklet pdf

Command: pdfbklt -b A4 -p 2 %S.pdf

which takes a document of A5 pages and turns them into a booklet.  pdfbklt
depends on the Text::PDF perl module / package.

In the Advanced tab I have:
Type: Run outside of Kile
Class: Compile
State: Editor

In the Menu tab I have:
Add tool to Build menu: Other

Otherwise the entries are all blank.

I also have them set up with shortcuts so they can be invoked by Alt + L, Alt
+ 4, Alt +5, Alt + B respectively.

Hope this helps.  I'm sure someone will be able to improve on it.

Nick