[XeTeX] public xelatex.fmt

maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Wed Jun 4 19:22:30 CEST 2008

Bruno Voisin wrote:
> Looks like you've run fmtutil instead of fmtutil-sys to build the
> formats.
>
> What you exactly need to do depends on the platform you're on: Linux

Yes

> Running instead
>
> 	sudo fmtutil-sys --all
>
> is what should create system-wide formats (assuming admin accounts and
> sudo make sense on your platform). Maybe you need to erase
> ~/.texlive2007 first (on the Mac it would be better, on Linux I've no
> idea), or run it as
>
> 	sudo -H fmtutil-sys --all

Thanks, we'll try that!

> Regarding where xelatex looks for format files, you can try
>
> 	kpsewhich --progname=xelatex --show-path=.fmt

.:!!/home/mmaxwell/.texmf-config/web2c:!!/home/mmaxwell/.texmf-var/web2c:/home/mmaxwell/texmf/web2c:!!/usr/share/texmf-config/web2c:!!/usr/share/texmf-var/web2c:!!/usr/local/share/texmf/web2c:!!/groups/tools/texlive/2007/texmf/web2c:!!/usr/share/texmf-dist/web2c

OK, what do all those '!!' mean?  The kpsewhich man page doesn't mention
them.  And the last dir (/usr/share/texmf-dist/web2c) in the output of
this command doesn't exist.  The kpsewhich man page does say "the search
path for TeX source files is used", and I should presumably change it to
remove the nonexistent dir (and maybe substitute some other dirs); but
what determines that search path?  Again, the man page doesn't say.

> (yielding searched directories by decreasing order of precedence), and
>
> 	kpsewhich --progname=xelatex xelatex.fmt

> to know precisely which xelatex.fmt is used.

This last command finds nothing, which is presumably why (on my login)
xetex is trying (unsuccessfully) to build xelatex.fmt.

   Mike Maxwell
   CASL/ U MD