[XeTeX] public xelatex.fmt

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Jun 4 18:07:48 CEST 2008

Le 4 juin 08 à 16:57, maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu a écrit :

> Coming back to my real problem: recently, we re-installed xetex for
> all
> users, not just for me.  Unfortunately, the resulting xelatex.fmt file
> (and I suppose the xetex.fmt file) would up in a .texlive2007 subdir
> of
> only one user, meaning the rest of us can't run xelatex.
>
> Obviously we could copy that .texlive2007 subdir and send it to
> everyone.
> But surely there is a better way--maybe putting it under /etc or
> something? And calling it .texlive2007 doesn't sound like a good idea,
> either, since this is now 2008...  Where does xe(la)tex (or
> kpsewhich????)
> look for these files?

Looks like you've run fmtutil instead of fmtutil-sys to build the
formats.

What you exactly need to do depends on the platform you're on: Linux
(I would guess from your message), Mac OS or Windows. I would think

	fmtutil --all

is what you've run, resulting in creation of format in ~/.texlive2007.
Running instead

	sudo fmtutil-sys --all

is what should create system-wide formats (assuming admin accounts and
sudo make sense on your platform). Maybe you need to erase
~/.texlive2007 first (on the Mac it would be better, on Linux I've no
idea), or run it as

	sudo -H fmtutil-sys --all

Regarding where xelatex looks for format files, you can try

	kpsewhich --progname=xelatex --show-path=.fmt

(yielding searched directories by decreasing order of precedence), and

	kpsewhich --progname=xelatex xelatex.fmt

to know precisely which xelatex.fmt is used.

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin