[XeTeX] updated ICU library in XeTeX - please test

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Jul 15 10:45:27 CEST 2008

On 15 Jul 2008, at 7:59 AM, Yves Codet wrote:

> Le 11 juil. 08 à 13:53, Jonathan Kew a écrit :
>
>> I have just updated the xetex subversion repository at http://
>> scripts.sil.org/svn-public/xetex/TRUNK
>>  to build xetex using ICU release 4.0 in place of release 3.8.1.
>>
>> It would be helpful if some people can build and test this,
>> especially
>> working with OpenType fonts (both "pro" Latin-script fonts with
>> various features, and non-Latin scripts such as CJK, Arabic, and
>> Indic
>> writing systems). If possible, I'd like to apply this update to the
>> TeX Live sources as well, in time for the final TL 2008 binary
>> builds,
>> so if there are any problems arising from the update, we need to know
>> about them ASAP.
>
> I've just tried this new build with a Sanskrit text in Devanagari
> script. I didn't notice anything wrong in the output but I got a lot
> of warnings such as:
>
> ** WARNING ** No Unicode mapping available: GID=101,
> name=ivowelsignnarrowdeva
>
> and so on. This was with an AAT font, Devanagari MT. There were no
> such warnings with an OT font, Sanskrit 2003.

These come from xdvipdfmx, and are not related to the ICU library
update. If you get warnings like this (because of non-standard glyph
names for contextual glyphs, ligatures, etc.), it's likely that those
characters will not work properly in PDF text search, copy/paste,
etc.; apart from that, the output should be fine.

These warnings can be suppressed by using the option -qq (rather than
just -q) to xdvipdfmx. Maybe this should be the default that xetex uses?