[XeTeX] XeTeX + fontspec + sazanami = no output (?)

Atsuhito Kohda kohda at pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp
Fri Jan 11 05:52:21 CET 2008

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 17:19:46 -0800 (PST), Wilfred van Rooijen wrote:

> I have
> downloaded the sazanami fonts from Wadalab. However,

I don't know what fonts you really downloaded but you seems
to use Gentoo so it will be enough to do "emerge sazanami"
to install sazanami fonts.

> \setromanfont[Mapping=tex-text]{KozGoPro-Medium}

I suspect "KozGoPro-Medium" is not for sazanami fonts
but Kozuka fonts.  You should use something like
\setromanfont[BoldFont={Sazanami Gothic}]{Sazanami Mincho}
instead.  (Bold part might be unnecessary for you)
Generally, output of fc-list is a starting point for fonts
settings of xetex.

Something I noticed.

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 19:25:23 -0800 (PST), Wilfred van Rooijen wrote:

> Furthermore, ptex is bound to EUC-JP input file
> encoding. This should not be a real problem, but for
> instance my gentoo system will default support UTF-8
> and EUC-JP is only available if you specifically ask
> for it. I don't know about other linux'en, though. But
> at any rate, EUC-JP moves us back into the dark ages,
> to a certain extend (plus most Windows and Mac editor
> will probably only support (S)JIS).

On Windows, pTeX is compiled with SJIS+JIS supports and
on Linux/UNIX, pTeX is compiled with EUC-JP plus JIS suports
generally.

> It seems that there is one guy in Japan who has
> released ptetex3 and ptexlive 2007, sets of patches
(snip)
> level of latex experience. Patching tetex, building
> from source, fiddling around with dvipdfmx and having
> to tweak the fonts as in ptex is a threshold for the
> incidental users who just wants to know what latex can
> do nowadays.

ptexlive supports UTF-8 and it is designed to tweak almost
automatically patches etc. so there is no need for a user
to manually tweak anything basically.

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 17:50:42 -0800 (PST), Wilfred van Rooijen wrote:

> support for vertical typesetting is necessary. I don't
> think the 'trick' of rotating the characters and then
> rotating a box on the page will always give a good
> result (「 and 」could pose problems).
> What about punctuation symbols in the margin? And how
> about kerning? Is that handled by the font itself?

If you really need to write vertically and want to handle
punctuation symbols in the margin etc. automatically, perhaps
it is the best to install ptexlive but if you only want
to input Japanese sentences in your TeX file, xetex will be
the best, IMHO.

Regards,			2008-1-11(Fri)

 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda AT debian.org>
 Department of Math., Univ. of Tokushima