[XeTeX] Polytonic greek and XeLaTeX

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Jan 2 18:07:16 CET 2008

On 2 Jan 2008, at 4:46 pm, John Was wrote:

> Hi
>
>> U+1FBF GREEK PSILI is a different matter; this is a "spacing" version
>> of the mark, and should not normally be used in text, as far as I
>> know. I suppose it could be useful when writing about the diacritic
>> itself, rather than using it in combination with a vowel.
>>
>> JK
>>

> The Greek asper and lenis (as classicists normally refer to them) are
> actually very useful in roman-alphabet contexts for transliteration of
> Arabic (etc.) names.

Hmm... yes, I suppose that's a possibility. But I think the
characters that are expected to be used for Arabic transliteration
are U+02BE MODIFIER LETTER RIGHT HALF RING and U+02BE MODIFIER LETTER
LEFT HALF RING, rather than the "comma" forms. (See their annotations
in the Unicode standard.)

And if you do specifically need a more "comma-like" character, the
appropriate choices would be U+02BC MODIFIER LETTER APOSTROPHE and U
+02BD MODIFIER LETTER REVERSED COMMA. So I still don't think U+1FBF
is the right choice!

> I mentioned in a different thread that this is one
> case where it would be useful to have the ability to add my own
> kerns to a
> font, just in case the asper and lenis did not look well adjacent
> to a roman
> capital letter.  (There's no particular reason why a font designer
> working
> out the best kerns for the Greek area of Unicode should think to
> supply
> kerns between Greek characters and roman-alphabet characters, but it's
> typical of academic work that this kind of odd and unpredicted
> requirement
> may arise.)

The case for asking font designers to include appropriate kerns in
the font becomes a bit stronger, at least, if you use the appropriate
characters from the U+02xx block, as these can reasonably be expected
to be used in conjunction with Latin letters. But I can certainly
understand that you may have "odd" requirements, especially in
academic/technical contexts, and want additional kerns to improve the
result.