[XeTeX] Polytonic greek and XeLaTeX

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Wed Jan 2 17:46:08 CET 2008

Hi

> U+1FBF GREEK PSILI is a different matter; this is a "spacing" version
> of the mark, and should not normally be used in text, as far as I
> know. I suppose it could be useful when writing about the diacritic
> itself, rather than using it in combination with a vowel.
>
> JK

The Greek asper and lenis (as classicists normally refer to them) are
actually very useful in roman-alphabet contexts for transliteration of
Arabic (etc.) names.  I mentioned in a different thread that this is one
case where it would be useful to have the ability to add my own kerns to a
font, just in case the asper and lenis did not look well adjacent to a roman
capital letter.  (There's no particular reason why a font designer working
out the best kerns for the Greek area of Unicode should think to supply
kerns between Greek characters and roman-alphabet characters, but it's
typical of academic work that this kind of odd and unpredicted requirement
may arise.)

Best

John